Hello, Jdcowan, and welcome to the ISFDB Wiki! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:
- Help pages
- Field-by-field guide to entering new publications into the database
- Help:Getting Started
- What the ISFDB Wiki is for
- Wiki editing help - Tips on how to use the wiki-specific features when editing wiki pages.
- Wiki Conventions - How things are usually done on this wiki.
- Help:How to upload images to the ISFDB wiki
Note: Image uploading isn't entirely automated. You're uploading the files to the wiki which will then have to be linked to the database by editing the publication record.
Please be careful in editing publications that have been primary verified by other editors. See Help:How to verify data#Making changes to verified pubs. But if you have a copy of an unverified publication, verifying it can be quite helpful. See Help:How to verify data for detailed information.
I hope you enjoy editing here! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will insert your name and the date. If you need help, check out the community portal, or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome! -- JLaTondre (talk) 20:26, 14 May 2018 (EDT)
I accepted your recent additions, but they required a lot of work to bring up to ISFDB standards. Please review the help in the welcome message above as well as compare your submissions (My Recent Edits) with the current versions. We welcome authors adding their own works, but we expect that all contributors will enter data per our standards. ISFDB has some conventions that need learning, but everything should be in the help links in the welcome message above. We hope you will continue to contribute. And please let us know if you have any questions (ISFDB:Help desk is a good resource for asking). -- JLaTondre (talk) 20:26, 14 May 2018 (EDT)
Hello. Just a heads-up that I updated a few of your submissions to correct some minor errors: for example, always make sure to add source of data into the notes; ASIN's are generally for ebooks, not paperbacks (I've removed that one); I regularized the publisher of your self-published works to JD Cowan, as that was already in the database (and that's how we do that for publishers); corrected a date mixup where you had the ebook pub date instead of the tp pub date. Regards, MagicUnk 15:37, 26 September 2020 (EDT)
Corona-Chan: Spreading the Love
Hello again. I'm afraid I've had to reject your submission as there are quite a few issues with it.
- You tried to update the ebook edition to a tp edition, which would result in the loss of a valid pub record; you should have cloned the ebook publication instead, and make that a tp edition.
- You added all contributing authors into the authors multi-field. However, for ANTHOLOGY (and COLLECTION too), we only record the editor(s) in the author(s) field. Probably David V. Stewart is both the editor and publisher of this ANTHOLOGY, yes?
- ASIN/notes are inconsistent with your other edits
- No data source is stated
It would be too much effort to try to salvage your effort, and at the same time rectify the issues as indicated above, hence the rejection (sorry about that).
If you still want to add the paperback edition, do use the clone feature - it can be found in the left-hand menu when displaying the ebook edition pub record, and take into account the comments above. Also, do clearly state the source of the data. Only if you would have the book in hand, and all the data can be found on or in the book, then you can leave out the source, provided you primary-verify the book (this way you indicate that you have verified the data as being accurate against a copy of the actual physical book). Hope that helps. Regards, MagicUnk 15:52, 26 September 2020 (EDT)
The Pulp Mindset
Hello. I've accepted your submission, but made the following changes:
- Removed the ISBN as that was for the tp edition
- Removed page numbers and pagination, as that is rather meaningless for ebooks
- Added Amazon's ASIN
Same for 'Someone is Aiming for You & Other Adventures'. Regards, MagicUnk 14:24, 27 September 2020 (EDT)
I approved you submission for Cirsova #4, but you need to make a correction and variant one story. You give the translator as an author of "The Meeting". That is not correct procedure; the translator should be credited in the notes for the story and/or in the notes for the magazine. And the author Darren Goosens should be varianted to his cannonical name, that is the name chosen in the data base as his basic name. In this case, Darren's cannonical name is "Darren Goossens". Bob 20:29, 30 September 2020 (EDT)
Pulp on Pulp
I accepted your addition of Pulp on Pulp, but has to make some changes to match standards:
- Pages: We do not enter a page count for ebooks. You can add it to the pub notes if you desire.
- ASIN: The ASIN belongs in the external ID section and not in the ISBN. The ISBN field should only ever be an ISBN.
- Capitalization: We standardize the capitalization of titles. See Template:TitleFields:Title.
Garamesh and the Farmer: A Fairy Tale
I accepted your addition of Garamesh and the Farmer: A Fairy Tale, but changed it from a novel to a chapbook. This is short fiction per Amazon so we use the chapbook designation. Novel is for anything over 40k words. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 09:15, 24 January 2021 (EST)
- I also changed Voices of the Void to a chapbook based on its length. -- JLaTondre (talk) 09:20, 24 January 2021 (EST)
Please see the ISFDB policy on what is included. As the The Keys to Prolific Creativity, Dreamers & Misfits: The Definitive Book About Rush Fans, and Don't Give Money to People Who Hate You submissions are not within our inclusion policy, I have had to reject them. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 09:43, 24 January 2021 (EST)
Amazon cover image URLs
Please review the last bullet point under Amazon on the Help:Screen:NewPub page. When using Amazon URLs for cover images, be sure to remove the formatting information from the end of the image name. For example, if the Amazon URL is "", you should enter it as "" (remove the "._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_" part). Please let me know if you have any questions. ···日本穣 · 投稿 · Talk to Nihonjoe 13:12, 15 September 2022 (EDT)