Hello, Interzone, and welcome to the ISFDB Wiki! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:
- Help pages
- Field-by-field guide to entering new publications into the database
- Help:Getting Started
- What the ISFDB Wiki is for
- Wiki editing help - Tips on how to use the wiki-specific features when editing wiki pages.
- Wiki Conventions - How things are usually done on this wiki.
- Help:How to upload images to the ISFDB wiki
Note: Image uploading isn't entirely automated. You're uploading the files to the wiki which will then have to be linked to the database by editing the publication record.
Please be careful in editing publications that have been primary verified by other editors. See Help:How to verify data#Making changes to verified pubs. But if you have a copy of an unverified publication, verifying it can be quite helpful. See Help:How to verify data for detailed information.
I hope you enjoy editing here! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will insert your name and the date. If you need help, check out the community portal, or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome! -- JLaTondre (talk) 15:24, 26 February 2023 (EST)
Piped sort numbers in page number field
I'm going to approve your edit updating Like Smoke, Like Light. I noticed that in the page number field you are appending a piped sort operator to each page number. Adding a sort to the page numbers isn't necessary if the page numbers themselves would place the contents in the correct order. It is useful when several contents items appear on the same page, or when the publication restarts numbering. Even in those cases, it only needs to be applied for items where it matters. Adding it to all page numbers will still cause the contents to be displayed in the correct order, but it makes it more difficult if we find new contents that should have been added or if the order is incorrect. In the future, it would be better if you just used the page numbers without the piped sort unless there is a specific need. Thanks and let me know if you have questions. --Ron ~ RtraceTalk 09:52, 15 December 2023 (EST)
- Hello JLaTondre, sorry, I was removing those to make them consistent with the other IZ Digital issues I added. I wasn't sure if the convention for free issues was to leave the field blank, or add $0.00. Sounds like I should update the other issues so they all say $0.00...? --Interzone (talk) 15:52, 23 December 2023 (EST)
- No price is used when the price is not known. When we know the price is free, it is best to use $0.00 (or whatever currency symbol is appropriate for the county of origin). It used to be the price would be left off for free items, but that left an ambiguity on whether it was free or the price was not known. So these days, we enter a $0.00 price. You will see some older records that have not been updated. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 07:42, 24 December 2023 (EST)