Hello, AlanHK, and welcome to the ISFDB Wiki! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:
- Help pages
- Field-by-field guide to entering new publications into the database
- Help:Getting Started
- What the ISFDB Wiki is for
- Wiki editing help - Tips on how to use the wiki-specific features when editing wiki pages.
- Wiki Conventions - How things are usually done on this wiki.
- Help:How to upload images to the ISFDB wiki
Note: Image uploading isn't entirely automated. You're uploading the files to the wiki which will then have to be linked to the database by editing the publication record.
Please be careful in editing publications that have been primary verified by other editors. See Help:How to verify data#Making changes to verified pubs. But if you have a copy of an unverified publication, verifying it can be quite helpful. See Help:How to verify data for detailed information.
I hope you enjoy editing here! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will insert your name and the date. If you need help, check out the community portal, or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome! -- JLaTondre (talk) 10:31, 31 July 2021 (EDT)
Elak of Atlantis
You can reorder the stories by opening the book for editing: here and then putting a pseudo-page number next to the story. You put |1 for the first story, |2 for the second and so on (note the pipe (|) symbol - it is important :) Let me know if you have any questions! Annie 03:26, 17 November 2021 (EST)
I was required to reject your submission linking the author's photograph. We may only link to websites which have granted us permission to do so. Here is an explanation of our policy and a list of sites which allow us to link. After reading, feel free to ask me for clarification. John Scifibones 21:43, 30 April 2022 (EDT)
- Fine. Now I know why there are almost no author photos. But why did you also reject the link to the author's Facebook page? AlanHK 08:31, 6 May 2022 (EDT)
- I don't have the ability to edit a submission. I could add the link, but I thought you might wish to do it. Submit a new edit, alert me and I will approve it. You have much more freedom to download an image, upload it to the site and link it to the record. Here is the relevant help.
- To alert me , or anyone else posting on your page, simply answer. Most users will monitor a page when expecting a response. John Scifibones 08:53, 6 May 2022 (E
- approved John Scifibones 09:30, 6 May 2022 (EDT)
David B. Riley
I have rejected your edits to David B. Riley but incorporated the information you provided. Your first edit removed the link to his website with the comment 'davidriley.biz dead for many years Cannot find any live sites for this author.' We don't just discard information. Using the internet archive, I have replaced the broken link with a working link. Your second edit was adding useful information but had the same problem as the first. In the future, think twice about removing or deleting anything. Often there is another way. Don't get frustrated, working on the site is a learning experience. We're all here to help. John Scifibones 09:53, 6 May 2022 (EDT)
- The link that was there -- "davidriley.biz" WAS dead and probably never worked. And I did look at the Wayback for that and found nothing but error messages. You found a different page, "www.davidriley.biz". Well done for guessing that, but whoever put up the original link messed it up. I did not make sequential edits deliberately. After finding the listed one was dead, I reported that and later spent some time digging around to find the recent article about him and his death. AlanHK 07:38, 7 May 2022 (EDT)
A Timeline Darkly
I approved your submission adding A Timeline Darkly. I did make a few changes.
- Chapbooks are just containers; the actual work needed to be added to the contents section.
- When you show both the imprint and the publisher, the "/" needs spaces around it.
- Moved all your publication links from the title record to the publication record and moving the Goodreads link to the Ext ID section
- Replaced the image link from a site which we do not have permission to link to with an image I uploaded to our site. (Pay attention yellow warnings)
Chapbooks can be a bit confusing, let me know if you have any questions. John Scifibones 14:39, 23 May 2022 (EDT)
- "Pay attention yellow warnings": problem is, the warning only shows AFTER I have submitted the edit. At which time, I cannot change it. Theoretically, I can cancel it and then spend a half hour rentering all the data. So I just shrug and move on. There should be a hold on submission when there is a warning, asking the submitter if he wants to fix it before committing. Better yet, just automatically copy the image and host it rather than a link that may be problematic, or expire. AlanHK 04:18, 1 June 2022 (EDT)
- You would not have needed to reenter the whole submission. Next time, hit back arrow, remove the link to an unauthorized site and resubmit. Now go to 'My Pending Edit' click cancel on the original submission and you're good. After the edit is accepted, you can link an image from an allowable site or upload an image directly to our site. Here are the relevant help pages.
- John Scifibones 09:41, 1 June 2022 (EDT)
Weird Tales of Horror
If you're here to tell me there was a warning on the cover link, use The original higher quality one was on Amazon's site, however. AlanHK 08:35, 1 June 2022 (EDT)