I live in GMT+1.
E.g. to get 'printer's apostrophe' used in some titles (Patterson's School’s Out Forever), enter
Sometimes it is the only way to enter this character (e.g on my machine ;-)
No, I'm taking this back; just replace 'pretty' apostrophes the with plain ones.
- Please do not use “printer’s apostrophes” in ISFDB fields such as the title, author name, publisher, etc. This is because the current search code does not know how to map the various characters so that ' is the same as ‘ or ’ and also that we occasionally run Data Consistency checks for things such as invalid characters in titles.
- You may use the various quotes marks in ISFDB comment/description fields and on the wiki side of ISFDB. They are easy to enter from a Windows PC by holding the ALT key down, entering a code on the numeric keypad, and releasing the ALT key.
- ALT 0145 is left single quote ‘
- ALT 0146 is right single quote ’
- ALT 0147 is left double quote “
- ALT 0148 is right double quote ”
- 01:59, 22 Jan 2008 (CST)
The To Do list
This page (Contento) lists two different stories The Naming of Names by Bradbury:
- in The Martian Chronicles: The Naming of Names · vi The Martian Chronicles, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1950 (the 1-pager)
- below, in The Stories of Ray Bradbury: 469 · Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed [“The Naming of Names”] · ss Thrilling Wonder Stories Aug ’49
These two stories (the 1-pager and Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed) AFAIK are different (I have both texts in other editions) though related.
Now, this listing in Contento (of Gates to Tomorrow) shows The Naming of Names · Ray Bradbury · ss Thrilling Wonder Stories Aug ’49, which suggests that it is really Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed reprinted with the old title. OTOH our record for Thrilling Wonder Stories, August 1949 has Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed and doesn't mention The Naming of Names.
My text of Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed doesn't state the first publication. The question is: which title was used in Thrilling Wonder Stories, August 1949 and which story is reprinted in Gates to Tomorrow? (Think about it and post it somewhere: Verifications? First verify related pubs and check their copyright info).
My verified Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales. The first publication of 2004-05: The Naming of Names is stated as The Martian Chronicles, 1950.
- Finish Interzone review links 206-207
- Subterranean Magazine (Warning: Subterranean Online is different magazine, not website of the printed version).
- Clarkesworld Magazine
- Add interior art info to Writers of the Future where available.
- In Interzone Aut '85 change Mutant Popcorn to ESSAY
- Add Things Will Never Be the Same: A Howard Waldrop Reader by Howard Waldrop using 'Search Inside'.
- Add contents to other anth. by Jonathan Strahan: Modern Greats of Science Fiction (reprint of Best Short Novels: 2004, see Locus New in Paperback), The Best Short Science Fiction Novels of the Year, The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy.
- Add anthology Synergy SF: New Science Fiction (2004).
- Add Chosen by fate Anthology.
- Add contents to Murder by Magic.
- Check publess reviews.
- Add contents listing to The Metatemporal Detective from here and here. Added. Find dates of the stories.
- Add Dalek I Loved You
- Add Art And Science of Stanislaw Lem by Peter Swirski (Search Inside)
- Fix Albert Sanchez Pinol? Add the reviewed UK edition
- Update the cover records of updated Interzones to mach the magazine (date, title)
- Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Verify Interzone 206 - 215
- Add Black Gate
- More DM Mitchell
- Add Frank Schatzing (The Swarm US ed.) reviewed here
- Check the New Worlds new series vs. old series etc. - mostly done
- sort out Dick's biblio; check the collected stories variants, add this
- Add Citadel's 5 vols. of Dick
- A Second Chance at Eden - add contents listing - DONE. TODO: verify
- Do something about Brothers Hildebrandt - pseudos are dangerous
- Check the difference in review displaying between downloadable ISFDB and current one.
- Check how to display reviews which do not match titles (for a given reviewed author), see: Reviews of things that don't exist
- The Road to Science Fiction Volume 5: The British Way Locus index WorldCat Amazon SF Site
- And now Volume 6?
- Add Ellison's Revised Ed with Contents (see Bibliography)
- Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders add UK with Contents.
- Add The Atrocity Archives
- Temeraire WorldCat
Who is canonical, who is pseudo?
- Douglas A. Sirois vs. Douglas Sirois
- Christopher Nurse vs. Chris Nurse (usually art as Chris, movies as Christopher; but IZ printed him as Christopher (in IZ 216 he is Christopher all over the issue)
Are they the same person?
- Paul Jenkins vs. Paul S. Jenkins
- Darren Winter vs. D. W. Winter (both Interzone)
- Scott M. Azmus vs. S. M. Azmus (Writers of the Future) - yes, according to Locus index
- Darren Clark Cummings vs. Darren C. Cummings (Writers of the Future) - yes, according to Locus index
Initial discussion: ISFDB:Community_Portal#Lem
The Collected Works
My old list with data googled from online shops (to do: check sanity; compare with other lists; add vol. numbers; link pubs in ISFDB):
|Powrót z gwiazd||1999||83-08-02957-4||38,00 zł|
|Summa technologiae||2000||83-08-03089-0||49 zł||510|
|Pamiętnik znaleziony w wannie||2000||83-08-03061-0||36,00 zł||232|
|Wysoki Zamek||2000||83-08-03031-9||34,99 zł||152|
|Opowieści o Pilocie Pirxie||2000||83-08-03063-7||44,00 zł||450|
|Dzienniki gwiazdowe||2001||83-08-03113-7||52,00 zł||522|
|Pokój na Ziemi||2001||83-08-02969-8||38,00 zł||256|
|Szpital Przemienienia||2001||83-08-03145-5||36,00 zł||222|
|Kongres futurologiczny||2002||83-08-03300-8||32,00 zł||129|
|Filozofia przypadku||2002||83-08-03228-1||69 zł||656|
|Mój pogląd na literaturę||2003||83-08-03364-4||69,00 zł||510|
|Głos Pana||2003||83-08-03318-0||42,00 zł||240|
|Biblioteka XXI wieku||2003||83-08-03531-0||49,90 zł||408|
|Fantastyka i futurologia||2003||83-08-03473-X||119,99 zł||1010||Two vols sold together|
|Krótkie zwarcia||2004||83-08-03657-0||49,99 zł||428|
|Obłok Magellana||2004||83-08-03736-4||49,00 zł||410|
|Sex Wars||2004||83-08-03581-7||49,99 zł||457|
|Człowiek z Marsa||2004||83-08-03560-4||34,90 zł||127|
|Lata czterdzieste/Dyktanda||2005||83-08-03755-0||42,00 zł||416|
Wikipedia (PL): Bibliography (First editions)
Another bibliography: The Scriptorium Lem in English
And another bibliography in English, with link to other pages (and other languages).
Polish National Library: Stanisław Lem
A private collection: Lem - notes on books, incl. year, edition, format. No covers. Books may be in binding different from original.
Fantasta (a SF books database) Stanisław Lem
Recent PL editions (year, publisher, ISBN)
http://www.gandalf.com.pl has back covers of Polish ed. (ISBN, barcode)
http://contento.best.vwh.net/s155.htm Lem stories in English (Contento)
http://www.locusmag.com/index/s444.htm#A10411 Lem stories in English 1967-1998 (Locus)
German bibliography - included German originals.
Collected Works 33 vols.
- An Interview with Stanislaw Lem Science Fiction Studies March 1983
- Twenty-Two Answers and Two Postscripts in Science Fiction Studies November 1986
A partial checklist of Polish editions: with the exception of omnibuses and reprint collections, these contain works for the first time published in a book.
- Człowiek z Marsa (publ. mag. 1946, books 1994, 1996)
- Astronauci (1951,)
- Obłok Magellana (1955, )
- Eden (1959, )
- Śledztwo (1959, )
- Pamiętnik znaleziony w wannie (1961, )
- Powrót z gwiazd (1961, 1968, 1970 (DW), 1972, 1975, 1981, 1985, 1986, 1994 (Interart), 1999 (WL-DZ))
- Solaris (1961, )
- Wysoki Zamek (1966, )
- Głos Pana (1968, )
- Katar (1976, )
- --Niezwyciężony (short novel 1964), publ. stand-alone 1982, 2003?
- Wizja lokalna (1982, 1983, )
- Fiasko (1987, )
- Pokój na Ziemi (1987, )
- --Maska (novella?) publ. mag. 1974, coll. 1976, stand-alone in 1988
- --Kongres futurologiczny (a short novel) publ. stand-alone ?
- --- trilogy „Czas nieutracony” (Szpital Przemienienia, Wśród umarłych, Powrót) (1955)
- Szpital Przemienienia (1975)
- Dialogi (1957)
- Summa Technologiae (1964)
- Filozofia przypadku (1968)
- Fantastyka i futurologia (1970)
- Sezam i inne opowiadania (1954, 1955)
- Dzienniki gwiazdowe (1957 (Iskry), 1958 (Iskry), 1966 (WL), 1971 (Czytelnik), 1974 (WL), 1975 (WL), 1976 (Czytelnik), 1982 (WL), 1983 (WL), 1991 (Gebethner i Ska), 1994 (Interart), 1999 (WL), 2001 (WL), 2003 (WL))
- Inwazja z Aldebarana (1959 )
- Księga robotów (1961)
- Noc księżycowa (1963)
- Bajki robotów (1964, )
- Niezwyciężony i inne opowiadania (1964, 1965) (Niezwyciężony is a short novel, publ. stand-alone 1982)
- Cyberiada (1965, 1967, 1972, 1978, 1991 (Verba),1995 (Interart), 1998 (ŚK), 2000, 2001 (WL-DZ), 2002 (WL), 2006 (WL) )
- Polowanie (1965)
- Opowieści o pilocie Pirxie (1968, ... , 1986, ...)
- Bezsenność (1971)
- Doskonała próżnia (1971) - all later editions in omnibus colls.?
- Wielkość urojona (1973)
- Wysoki Zamek * Wiersze młodzieńcze (1975) – omnibus really, but poems for the first time in a book
- Maska (1976, 1977)
- Powtórka (1979)
- Golem XIV (1981)
- Prowokacja (1984.)
- Biblioteka XXI wieku (1986.)
- Pożytek ze smoka (1993)
- Dyktanda czyli... (2001) – children's book?
- Lata czterdzieste / Dyktanda (2005) – again, omnibus really but Lata czterdzieste (='40s) never published as a stand-alone collection
Book-size interview collections:
- Rozmowy ze Stanisławem Lemem (1987) with Stanislaw Beres
- Świat na krawędzi: Ze Stanisławem Lemem rozmawia Tomasz Fiałkowski (2000) with Tomasz Fialkowski
- Tako rzecze... Lem (2002) with Stanislaw Beres
?Autobiography for New Yorker? (1987 ?)
- Profesor A. Donda (1974) - anthology Kroki w nieznane vol. 5 (Ijon Tichy series)
- Pan F. (first ed. German 1977)
- Czarne i biale (first ed. German 1984)
- Ratujmy Kosmos i inne opowiadania (1966)
- Opowiadania (1969)
- Opowiadania wybrane (1973)
- Odruch warunkowy (mag. 1962/chapbook 1975) – a single story
- Suplement (1976)
- Kongres futurologiczny • Maska (1983) – or is it an omnibus?
- Przekładaniec (1968)
- Noc księżycowa (1979)
- other included in Noc księżycowa (1963)
- collected in Przekładaniec in Dzieła zebrane 2000
- Godzina przyjęć profesora Tarantogi (1979)
- Solaris • Niezwyciężony (1968)
- Głos Pana • Kongres futurologiczny (1973)
- Doskonała próżnia • Wielkość urojona (1974)
- Śledztwo • Katar (1982)
- Solaris • Niezwyciężony (1986) (Niezwyciężony was publ. as a book in 1982)
- Apokryfy (1998) -- all 4 collections in the Apocryphs series (Znak)
- Biblioteka XXI wieku (2003) -- the same as Apokryfy; different publisher (WL)
- Moloch (2003) -- 'Tajemnica chińskiego pokoju' together with 'Bomba megabitowa'
Series on philosophy (a follow-up to Dialogi and Summa Technologiae):
- Sex Wars (1996 (Nowa), 2004 (WL)) – collection (essays)
- Tajemnica chińskiego pokoju (1996, ?) – collection (essays)
- Bomba megabitowa (1999, ?) – collection (essays)
- Okamgnienie (2000, ?) – collection (essays)
Series on modern times:
- Lube czasy (1995) – collection (essays)
- Dziury w calym (1997) – collection (essays)
? other essay collections:
- DyLEMaty (2003)
- Krótkie zwarcia (2004)
- Rasa drapieżców: Teksty ostatnie (2006)
Philip K. Dick
Underwood/Miller (like in ISFDB)
Thephildickian.com has listing of Underwood/Miller 1st edition.
Citadel - note that some of the volume titles are repeated, even though they are titles of different collections!
E.g. it looks like:
- Citadel's vol. 1 The Short Happy Life of the Brown Oxford and Other Stories is close to (the same as?) Underwood/Miller vol. 1 Beyond Lies the Wub
- Citadel's vol. 2 We can remember it for you wholesale is close to the Underwood/Miller vol. 2 Second Variety
- Citadel's vol. 3 'Second Variety is close to Uderwood/Miller vol. 3 The Father-Thing
- Citadel's vol. 4 The Minority Report and Other Stories is close to Uderwood/Miller vol. 4 The Days of Perky Pat reprinted luckily as Minority Report (Millennium)
- Citadel's vol. 5 The Eye of the Sibyl and Other Stories is close to Uderwood/Miller vol. 5 The Little Black Box reprinted as We can remember it for you wholesale (Millennium)
Good: Amazon has 'Search inside'.
The Polish edition (Prószyński i S-ka) seems to be based on the Citadel's edition.
Links Secondary texts on PKD (incl. Lem's essays)
Books edited substantially by me
(Stanisław Lem not included)
Books I have or have daily access to
Dark Benediction pb should be tp?
Cyber-Killers ed. Ric Alexander
A Second Chance at Eden by Peter F. Hamilton
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Dreamsongs: GRRM: A RRetrospective by George R. R. Martin
More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (SF Masters new cover)
Second Variety by Philip K. Dick (vol. 2)
The Father-Thing by Philip K. Dick (vol. 3)
I Am Legend (movie tie-in collection)
Books from a Library
(usually not available on request)
Report on Probability A by Brian Aldiss
Best SF of the Year 16 ed. Terry Carr
Books based on online sources
(usually reviewed in Interzone, or required by other reviews, or just interesting)
The Ephemera by Neil Williamson
A Serious Life by D. M. Mitchell
New Worlds 2 ed. David Garnett
J. R. R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth by Daniel Grotta
The Swarm (UK) by Frank Schätzing
To the High Castle, Philip K. Dick: A Life 1928-1962 by Gregg Rickman
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G. W. Dahlquist
The British Fantasy Society: A Celebration incomplete
Words of Birth and Death by Hannu Rajaniemi
Prador Moon by Neal Asher
A Science Fiction Omnibus ed. by Brian Aldiss
Selected Stories by Theodore Sturgeon (from existing record)
Visions of Wonder ed. by David G. Hartwell and Milton T. Wolf
The Dog Said Bow-Wow by Michael Swanwick
The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows ed. by Jonathan Strahan
The Eagle and the Crow: Modern Polish Short Stories (incomplete on purpose)
Earth Is But a Star ed. Damien Broderick
Altair, August 1999 (magazine)
Was it Orion? Yellow Gollancz Classics
SF Masterworks (paperbacks)
The series at SF Site
Wikipedia has up-to-date info
The series at Orion (not quite up-to-date)
Search at Orion
Notice that this series was initially published by Millennium, an imprint of Victor Gollancz and later by Gollancz, an imprint of the Orion Publishing Group.
Note that the titles from Millennium were later republished as by Gollancz, an imprint. There are some problems with More Than Human: I've seen the Millennium 2000 version listed as 28 More Than Human Theodore Sturgeon ISBN 0-575-60207-4 (not just Wikipedia), listed at WorldCat as Millennium 2000 with ISBN 1857988523 (and fantasticfiction adds this cover) and I have a Gollancz 2003 reprint with ISBN 1857988523 and this cover. And 0-575-60207-4 is ISBN of Gollancz/Vista 1997 edition with this cover.
- 70 Mockingbird by Walter Tevis
- 69 Dark Benediction
- 68 Roadside Picnic by Boris Strugatsky (todo: add a note)
- 67 Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
- 66 Life During Wartime
- 65 Rendezvous With Rama
- 64 Tau Zero
- 63 A Maze of Death
- 62 Mission of Gravity
- 61 The Child Garden
- 60 Ringworld
- 59 Dying Inside
- 58 The Penultimate Truth
- 57 The Simulacra
- 56 Downward to the Earth
- 55 Time Out of Joint
- 54 The Space Merchants
- 53 The Dancers at the End of Time
- 52 The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
- 51 The Shrinking Man
- 50 Eon
- 50 Eon
- 49 A Fall of Moondust
- 48 Grass
- 47 The Invisible Man
- 46 Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
- 45 The Complete Roderick
- 45 The Complete Roderick
- 44 The Lathe of Heaven
- 43 VALIS
- 42 Bring the Jubilee
- 41 Jem
- 40 Blood Music
- 39 The City and the Stars
- 38 The First Men in the Moon
- 37 Nova
- 36 Now Wait for Last Year
- 35 Pavane
- 34 The Fountains of Paradise
- 33 Non-Stop
- 33 Non-Stop
- 32 Dr. Bloodmoney
- 31 The Centauri Device
- 30 A Case of Conscience
- 29 Man Plus
- 28 More Than Human
- 27 Timescape
- 26 Ubik
- 25 Flowers for Algernon
- 24 The Time Machine / The War of the Worlds
- 23 The Book of Skulls
- 22 Behold the Man
- 21 Star Maker
- 20 A Scanner Darkly
- 19 Emphyrio
- 18 The Sirens of Titan
- 17 The Drowned World
- 16 The Dispossessed
- 15 Stand on Zanzibar
- 14 The Demolished Man
- 13 Martian Time-Slip
- 12 Earth Abides
- 11 Last and First Men
- 10 The Rediscovery of Man
- 9 Gateway
- 8 The Fifth Head of Cerberus
- 7 Lord of Light
- 6 Babel-17
- 5 The Stars My Destination
- 4 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- 3 Cities in Flight
- 2 I Am Legend
- 2 I Am Legend
- 1 The Forever War
SF Masterworks (hardcover)
(A series of 10 titles published Oct 2001)
Wikipedia has up-to-date info
- HC I Dune by Frank Herbert (to do: add a note)
- HC II The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
- HC III The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (to do: add a note)
- HC IV The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (to do: add a note)
- HC V A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (to do: add a note)
- HC VI Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (to do: add a note; but it's verified?)
- HC VII The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein (to do: add a note)
- HC VIII Ringworld by Larry Niven (to do: add a note)
- HC IX The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (to do: add a note)
- HC X The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (to do: add a note)
Bi-coloured covers, rounded corners paperback editions with covers by Marc Adams (a series of 10 titles published 2006).
- Cities in Flight by James Blish
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
- Gateway by Frederik Pohl
- I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
- Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
- The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin
- The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (ISBN 0-57507-908-8, UK £7.99)
- The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
- Ubik by Philip K. Dick
The series at SF Site (50 titles?)
Interzone covers at philsp (few but good quality)
Locus checklist of Interzone
Issues added to ISFDB:
Currently, old Interzone issues are titled as:
- Interzone, Spring 1982
- Interzone Vol1, No2, Summer 1982 ... up to No4
- Interzone, Autumn 1983 up to Spring 1984
- Interzone No. 8, Summer 1984
- Interzone #9, Autumn 1984 ... up to #24, Summer 1988
- Interzone #25, Sep/Oct 1988 ... up to #34, Mar/Apr 1990
- Interzone #35, May 1990 ... #36, June 1990
- Interzone, July 1990 ... June 1994
- Interzone #85, July 1994 ... #96, Jun 1995
- Interzone Science Fiction and Fantasy, Jul 1995 ... Jan 1996
- Interzone, February 1996 ... November/December 2005 (long months again)
John Clute's 2005-07 reviews bibliography has issues 198-207 listed as:
- Interzone (#198) (May 2005)
- Interzone (#199) (July 2005)
- Interzone (#200) (September 2005)
- Interzone (#201) (November 2005)
- Interzone (#202) (January 2006)
- Interzone (#203) February 2006
- Interzone (#204)
- Interzone (#205)
- Interzone (October 2006 #206) (this matches other records)
- Interzone (December 2006 #207) (again, OK)
Link to large Interzone #200 cover, with the date visible (October 2005).
Interzone 200 review: SciFi UK (includes contents)
BestSF.Net Interzone Reviews
Interzone reviews at SFSite
Visco Interzone covers
If Coverart of a magazine illustrates a particular story, add in the Note field: Cover illustrates Story's title. Also, it is possible to go to the artist's Summary Biography, click on the Cover: Magazine Issue and edit the title to become something like: Cover: Story's title (Magazine Issue), though it won't be displayed on the publication's page. See ISFDB:Community_Portal#Tracking_relationship_of_magazine_cover_art_to_interior_story
- Cyber-Killers gives the first publication date of Blood Sisters as Playboy 1985; ISFDB has it as 1979.
- CK has Crime on Mars dated 1960 (F&SF), ISFDB - 1961 (verified).
- CK has From Fanaticism, or for Reward as written in 1968 for F&SF, ISFDB has Analog, March 1969.
- CK has Zone of Terror first published in New Worlds in 1967, ISFDB in March 1960 and a collection from 1962.
Tips and hints
Based on my (fresh) experience, so perhaps not very reliable.
To add an edition of a collection/anthology with new title variant, you have to (assuming the original, old title was the canonical title):
1) add a new publication of the existing work (open the best matching existing publication having Contents; clone it, modifying the title and if needed the page numbers). See Help:How_to_clone_a_publication
2) unmerge the clone with modified title, i.e.: go to the screen called Bibliography: THE OLD TITLE, click Unmerge Titles, select carefully the new publication and submit; this will create a new title for the pub's author.
3) go to this new title, i.e. screen called Bibliography: THE NEW TITLE, and click Make This Title a Variant Title or Pseudonymous Work; paste Parent #: (from canonical OLD TITLE's URL) and submit.
The variant title will be displayed on the author's/editor's Summary Bibliography page; the publication will be displayed on the Bibliography pages of the individual works.
Sometimes works are published in different editions under different variants of authors names; this variants are registered as Pseudonyms. Such works are displayed with as by... comment; however while on the Contents page of a Publication as by X. Y means that this work was published under pseudonym X. Y in this edition, as by... on the author's Summary Bibliography is used also for works which were published under both the canonical name and the pseudonym.
How to scale images
Noticed on feature list: Feature:90144_Check_for_and_use_Amazon_images
Add _SLnnn_ to scale to nnn pixels (height?):
Dagger Key and Other Stories hc review in Interzone 213, Dec 2007
Tolkien guide - covers, ISBNs. Biographical books.
Various online sources
Information on books and works:
Index to Science Fiction Contento, up to 1983
Locus index from 1984
Dynamic Pulps - magazines incl. Interzone