User:Pwendt/People/John Kendrick Bangs
- 2016-09-07/08 import from /later
- see also User:Pwendt/Magazines#Harper's Weekly
"By John Kendrick Bangs" (advertisement of 8 now in print) 1897-02-06 144
EN-wiki "From 1889 to 1900 he held the title of Editor of the Departments of Humor for all three Harper's magazines and from 1899 to 1901 served as active editor of Harper's Weekly."
Search of one online index (content not available) shows Harper's Weekly publications by Bangs from Aug 1888, by Newell from Feb 1888 (one, otherwise from Jan 1893)
The Metropolitan Magazine and The Daily Telegraph, George Harvey, pres. Harper & Brothers, proprietor The North American Review; to be edited by Bangs 1902-12-06 p5 same purchased yesterday; 1902-12-29 p4
1894 The Water Ghost and Others T1008620
others signed ABFrost ABF F if at all
- 12 (front + 12), Bangletop ; plates included in the pagination, drawings clearly signed F. (but most are another medium)
- 9, Midnight Visitor signed F(also p153) ABF(same F, also p161)
- 12, The Ghost Club --previews House-Boat ; unsigned, line drawings apparently by same artist SEE 1892-0319 -273 and 278-31
- 7, Bragdon ; the first alone clearly signed A. B. Frost 
text runs to p296
pages (start, span, #ill, net)
- 001 19 -- 19 ss THE WATER GHOST OF HARROWBY HALL. Harper's Weekly , 6/27/1891
- 020 84 13 60 nt THE SPECTRE COOK OF BANGLETOP. Harper's Weekly , 12/5/1891
- 104 17 -- 17 ss THE SPECK ON THE LENS. Harper's Weekly , 5/28/1892
- 121 44 -9 26 ss A MIDNIGHT VISITOR. Harper's Weekly , 12/10/1892
- 165 09 -- 09 ss A QUICKSILVER CASSANDRA. Harper's Weekly , 9/24/1892
- 174 59 12 35 nt THE GHOST CLUB. AN UNFORTUNATE EPISODE IN THE LIFE OF No. 5010. Harper's Weekly , 3/19/1892
- 233 14 -- 14 ss A PSYCHICAL PRANK. Harper's Weekly , 8/12/1893
- 247 50 -7 36 ss THE LITERARY REMAINS OF THOMAS BRAGDON. Harper's Weekly , 12/16/1893
1898 Ghosts I Have Met and Some Others T1103653
HW 1898-07-09 p680
GHOSTS I HAVE MET. and some Others. By John Kendrick
Bangs. With Illustrations by Newell, Frost, and Richards. 16mo, Cloth, Ornamental, $1 25.
HDL catalog records
tp, cp evidently identical
2nd, 5th lack original cover (that from U California perhaps best)
text spans p1-191, last page unnumbered
- 001 25 ss 4 GHOSTS THAT HAVE HAUNTED ME. A FEW SPIRIT REMINISCENCES. Harper's Weekly , 12/19/1896 p1244-46 ; 4 Newell, uncredited (one clearly signed "Peter Newell")
- 026 17 ss 3 THE MYSTERY OF My Grandmother's Hair Sofa Harper's Weekly , 12/14/1895 p1193-94 ; 4 Richards, uncredited (clearly signed "F. T. Richards")
- 043 14 ss 2 THE MYSTERY OF BARNEY O'ROURKE. From the Annals of a Haunted House. Harper's Weekly , 9/4/1897 p883-84 ; 2 uncredited (clearly signed "P.N.", "Peter Newell.97")
- 057 52 nt 5 (plus front) THE EXORCISM THAT FAILED. Harper's Weekly , 12/18/1897 , -12-25 (parts 1, 2) p1240-42, 1286-87 ; 4, 2 (some clearly signed "Peter Newell.97")
- 109 31 ss 5 THURLOW'S CHRISTMAS STORY. Harper's Weekly , 12/15/1894 p1184-86 ; 5 Frost
- 140 13 ss 3 (uncredited, unsigned, broadly style and Frost by elimination?)
- 153 39 nt 0
see also CONTENTS OF THE CHRISTMAS NUMBER. Harper's Weekly , 12/18/1897
- Newell frontispiece, ch 1, 4
- Frost, ch 5 (and 6-7?) (<a href="http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015066051874?urlappend=%3Bseq=183">one clearly signed, p138, end ch5</a>) --EXCEEDED? at p178
- Richards ch 2
count by story, front + 4 + 3 + 2 + 5 ...
191+ last page unnumbered
Rollo in Emblemland T912554 1902 ✓ 2010 ✓
Alice in Blunderland T975334
- 1907 LCCN links HDL, not yet in the database ; missing price
- 2010 Evertype nidb o o ; Amazon with Look Inside 
- Mollie and the Unwiseman series
- 1902 H. T. Coates & Co. $1.00 https://lccn.loc.gov/02026754 links HDL
- 1910 J. B. Lippincott Company https://lccn.loc.gov/10021602 links HDL
book 1 --submitted 2016-09-07 without cover attribution or "" or page span
- 1902  Was. Post 1902-12-06 p18 "Mollie and the Unwiseman" - children's book
HDL  3 (latter two with cover); another HDL as "Mollie and the Unwiseman Abroad" [sic] --REPORT ERROR?
that from Harvard includes all 8
many of the smaller b/w drawings evidly show a logo or initials, inscrutable, presumably Dwiggins
Dwiggins signed 'Dwig' per Wikipedia ; 12 of his LCCat records include Bangs, Andiron Tales (Winston, 1906) https://lccn.loc.gov/07002057 links HDL
What about uncertain cover attribution?
book 2 --submitted 2016-09-07 complete
perhaps add Kindle edition, evidently from the U California copy at HDL  --except apparently lists only 7 illustrations
ASIN: B0085W8MQE at Amazon
- Idiot series
- 1893 Coffee and Repartee T960356 https://lccn.loc.gov/03014545 links HDL viii+123
- 1895 The Idiot T1834536 https://lccn.loc.gov/06006127 links HDL vi+115+[ ]
- 1899 omnibus T960358 (1900 https://lccn.loc.gov/00000728, vii+221)
- 1900 at Home https://lccn.loc.gov/00005649
- 1904 Inventions T1008628 https://lccn.loc.gov/04009629 links HDL 184+
- 1908 Genial --nidb https://lccn.loc.gov/08029647
- 1917 Half Hours --nidb https://lccn.loc.gov/17014182 links HDL
The Genial Idiot, JKBangs illus EWKemble nidb, exclusively for the New York Times, in Sunday magazine from 1902-06-22 pSM8, I. The Coronation at least to November
- 12-14 pSM3 XXVI (no title) (perhaps a new illustrator) states neither "to be continued" nor "the end"
- 12-21 pSM3
- 12-28 no hit
- 1903 LATimes only hits for "genial idiot" --advertisements plus  1903-11-15 pE9, instalment (c) John Russell Davidson
- advertised 1903-09-04 to appear from -09-06 in the Sunday magazine "the first in a series of entertaining stories"
HDL E-copy at HathiTrust Digital Library
- one 
-- Illustrations not credited; 8 b/w, frontispiece[p82] plus 7 plates not included in the pagination; the last five (The Idiot) clearly signed F. T. Richards -- text spans p1-101, 107-221
- others as c1900, 1900 ("Author's autograph edition, limited to five hundred copies. This is copy no. 269."), 1902 all show many more illustrations, 24 for The Idiot
HOLLIS catalog, Harvard University --example, Half Hours with the Idiot
general catalog search returns short listing and 4 options
- View Online -- [if available]
- Locations & Availability -- [[Expand/Collapse All] Networked Resource; Widener]
- here the former displays URL "http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.FIG:002769278" which directs to "... books.google.com/books?vid-HARVARD ..."
- Details -- [long listing]
- linked cross-refs and Google Books (if available? HU copy digitized?), HathiTrust (HU copy digitized), Hollis Classic record, WorldCat record
- for Peter Newell's, 1st ed. 1899, this includes "former owner"
- for Peter Newell's, HathiTrust is neither HU copy nor 1st ed. 1899, but 1903 edition from UConn digitized by Internet Archive (one of three for that catalog record, none HU; another is 1st ed. from Getty dGetty, another is 1922 from UMinn dGoogle); HDL also holds the 2nd ed. 1900 from OSU dGoogle and that ed. is in HU collection, but the HDL OSU is catalogued as 49 plates not 50 (incl. front) 
- for 2nd ed. 1900 HU copy, HOLLIS does link that 2nd ed. OSU at HDL
- Browse Shelf -- [linked in catalog code sequence (library specific?), Details of each]
some show "Find It ! Harvard >" (Details is the only item always present)
- A Rebellious Heroine
standalone novel? entered by ChrisJ probably
LCCN links HDL (4 copies)
N-Y Trib 1896-10-24 p8 ("Harper & Brothers publish to-day" ... The Rebellious Heroine by Bangs, $1.25)
Associated Shades series
Associated Shades (all 4 titles link EN)
- P279381 : image 1896 or 1895? $ pp --1896 and 1900 both p.v.
- P279382 lw : image 1897 pp Newell
- P408869 lw : 1899 pp Newell ; story Contents
- P327022 lw : image 1901-11 $ pp Newell --with newspaper Notes
serial? "now appearing in a well-known weekly" --Harper's Weekly no doubt
At HDL search
- L links HDL 5 (1896 date per catalog, wh first and last t.p. show, others show no date and evidently later) (also 00[3 with t.p. dates 98 98 99] 01 02 02) --1895 t.p. doubtful; 1900 ed. done 2016-08-29 (pv) NOVEL 2016-08-29 A House-Boat on the Styx John Kendrick Bangs Transient
- L links HDL 3 (t.p. 97) + 1 (t.p. 97) = 1897 date per catalog ; search hits also 00 01 02 1969 --done exc NEED newspapers
- L links HDL 3 (all three t.p. 1899; dnf others) --done exc NEED newspapers
- L links HDL 3 + 1 (1901 date per catalog)
among 5 copies the first and last state 1896; the third and fourth, from Harvard, show #1-2 at $1.25 (1897 or later, see p173) and #1-3 (copyright page); the second, with distinctive title page, shows only 8 plates  ie viii+171+ --and lacking the favorite illustration of one 1895 reviewer
all 4 copies state "New York" only
- 2016-09-07 User talk:Rtrace#A House-Boat on the Styx
yes, integrate the publication records
copy-paste from P582914
1st printing, presumed (novel reviewed 1895-12 but <a href="http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?279381">one 1896 publication per title page</a> may be the 1st printing)
- Some information from The Whole Science Fiction Data Base No. 3 and ABEbooks.
- Tuck lists the first printing as 1896, others 1895
- Reginald1: 00829.
- Bleiler The Guide to Supernatural Fiction: 89.
- $1.00 reported somewhere
- OCLC: <a href="http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/814233">814233</a>.
- Publ date and price from advertisement by the publisher N-Y Tribune 1895-11-27 p8 "Published To-Day by Harper Brothers" (four listed); "16mo. Cloth, Ornamental, $1.25"
-- (c) 1895 per copyright page of numerous printings with various title page dates or none
-- Briefly reviewed Det. Free Press 1895-12-02 p3, SL Post-Dispatch 1895-12-15 p25, Chi. Tribune 1895-12-28 p10; no others found in search of multiple newspapers online
Yet the 1st printing may state 1896 on the title page; ie, some 1896 ed. may be the 1st ed., 1st printing. HathiTrust Digital Library (HDL) holds five copies as 1896 (<a href="https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001027045">HDL catalog record</a>), none 1895. Among them the first and last title pages state 1896; the others, all from Harvard University, t.p. state no date. All three appear to be later printings. (The 2nd and 4th as listed at HDL 2016-08-30 contain, p[vii], only 8 plates which do not include the favorite illustration of one 1895 reviewer. The 3rd and 4th contain, p173 and copyright page respectively, lists that include this title and its first sequel, both $1.25.)
 represents the frontispiece and 23 plates not included in the pagination--those 24 leaves contained, and listed p[vii]-viii in the 1st, 3rd, 5th of five HDL copies as listed 2016-08-30. It is not certain that any of these is a copy of the 1st printing, discussed above.
Harper's Weekly, 1890s
- submitted 2016-09-07/08 TitleUpdate 1891-92, 94-96 ; 1913
- of which HDL holds 1891 and 1913
- 1913 ; 57.2945 (last as Harper & Brothers) 
- Volume 57 runs to -08-09 (last edited by George Harvey)
Vol. XXXVI; Nos. 1828 to 1880 (53 issues) Pages –1272 Length usually 24 pp. included in the pagination HathiTrust Digital Library lacks this volume as of 2016-09-07
Vol. XXXV; Nos. 1776 to 1827
Length usually 16 pp. included in the pagination, most of the year, with various supplements; 24 pp. at the end of the year
HathiTrust Digital Library (<a href="https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000061498">catalog record</a>) provides full view of this volume as bound in two parts, from Pennsylvania State University. These may include only the paginated material, pp. 1-1054.
- exclude outer cover or wrapper or other unpaginated supplementary material
. For instance, p2 states (quote): No. 1776. Harper's Weekly. With cover. And supplement containing a double-page illustration, in tint, entitled "A Curricle Ride". (end quote) No. 1776 is represented by pp. 1-16 only. Some supplementary material is paginated and included.