Hello, Thuff2000, and welcome to the ISFDB Wiki! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:
- Help pages
- Field-by-field guide to entering new publications into the database
- Help:Getting Started
- What the ISFDB Wiki is for
- Wiki editing help - Tips on how to use the wiki-specific features when editing wiki pages.
- Wiki Conventions - How things are usually done on this wiki.
- Help:How to upload images to the ISFDB wiki
Note: Image uploading isn't entirely automated. You're uploading the files to the wiki which will then have to be linked to the database by editing the publication record.
Please be careful in editing publications that have been primary verified by other editors. See Help:How to verify data#Making changes to verified pubs. But if you have a copy of an unverified publication, verifying it can be quite helpful. See Help:How to verify data for detailed information.
I hope you enjoy editing here! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will insert your name and the date. If you need help, check out the community portal, or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome! Annie 11:27, 31 August 2021 (EDT)
The Ghost of a Hand
Can you please clarify what you are trying to achieve with this request? Unmerge will create a new copy of the story but will keep it inside of the book. Is this what you are trying to do? If so, why? If not, if you explain what you are trying to do, I can assist with the correct operation. Thanks and welcome again! Annie 11:30, 31 August 2021 (EDT)
Hi Annie, and thanks. The story The Ghost of a Hand appearing in Horrific Fables (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?853649) currently links to the wrong place. It should link to the 1863 version here: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?839805
In short, the entry on this page: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?853649 should end up as such:
69 • The Ghost of a Hand • (1863) • short story by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu [as by J. Sheridan Le Fanu]
with the story linking here: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?839805
I was trying to unlink it so I could then relink it because I don't know how to change it in one step. If you could help me out, I will be grateful. Most of the stuff here is pretty straightforward, but aspects of linking the reprinted stories are a bit confusing for me. Thanks again.
Thuff2000 00:18, 2 September 2021 (EDT)
- Sorry for the delay - had to step away from the site for a few days. Let me look into this today and will get back to you. Annie 10:33, 7 September 2021 (EDT)
- You cannot make it in 1 step but what you are trying to do will require 3 steps (or a very creative second step to merge properly across author names). The cleanest way is to do "Remove title" then "Import" :) Which I did here. See how it looks like now and let me know if something still looks off. PS: It won't say [as by J. Sheridan Le Fanu] because it is not the used author. If your book has J. Sheridan Le Fanu then the old entry was the correct one (and I can restore it back) - the years of entries are always the first year the specific version was published. Annie 14:31, 7 September 2021 (EDT)
All Work and No Play
Regarding this submission: This does not appear to qualify as speculative fiction. Despite supposedly being written by a character of a speculative fiction story, the story itself is not speculative in nature. I recommend posting at ISFDB:Community Portal and getting community consensus on whether this should be included. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 11:45, 2 April 2022 (EDT)