User talk:JLaTondre/Archive 2014
Greetings from Earth
Biomassbob edits on hold
You have two edits on hold concerning "Etchings in Ivory" by Robert E. Howard. Can you reject these? I'm making the correct edits for this. Thanks, --Willem H. 19:43, 11 February 2014 (UTC)
After adding the cover art, I realized that there are additional things wrong with the entry
It's missing information about the translator and an introduction by Ray Bradbury http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1147658
I'm not supposed to change without permission of the primary verifier, but I guess they are no longer active. What's the correct protocol. TAWeiss 23:38, 21 February 2014 (UTC)
- Do you have that publication? If so:
- You should primary verify it. See Help:How to verify data
- The requirement is to notify a primary verifier about your change; not necessarily to get their approval. If you are adding information from the publication and you're sure you have the same publication, you can make the change and just leave a note on the other primary verifier's talk page that you made the change. Discussing the change is usually reserved for when there are discrepancies, etc.
- Let me know if you have question. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 23:56, 21 February 2014 (UTC)
Now & Then Revisited
You might be interested to know that as well as the on-line versions of the fanzine created by Harry Turner and Eric Needham, which are here: http://www.htspweb.co.uk/fandf/romart/het/fanzine.htm there is also a printed facsimile edition: http://www.htspweb.co.uk/fandf/romart/het/history/nandt.htm which is available to serious students of 1950s fanzines. A copy may be obtained by applying to the contact email address on the above pages or the Obituary page. Regards, Farrago 16:58, 25 February 2014 (UTC) a.k.a. Philip Turner, 25/02/2014
Submission from Perfectfacet
Please re-read what I wrote. It is quite clear from the submission that the book hasn't been published. That should be the basis for rejecting the submission. I also made it clear that he should return and add it "if the novel is science fiction..." I was trying to mitigate the original response you gave concerning the submission. If I failed, I apologize. Mhhutchins 16:18, 1 March 2014 (UTC)
- I understand that. However, I doubt it would be eligible even if published. As long as the submission is pending, I'm more likely to get an answer which I can then work with. As the bar for self-publishing is so low, I'd prefer to try to deal with it now then have it be resubmitted later with less description and a moderator accept it. Wishful thinking? Probably, but I'm willing to give it a shot. -- JLaTondre (talk) 16:28, 1 March 2014 (UTC)
The Hour of the Dragon
Submission being held
It's been a couple of weeks since you held the three submission which add cover images to PVed records. None of the editors are active and placing a message on their talk page seems unnecessary at the this point. The editor adding the submissions states that they are scans of his actual copies, so that should be sufficient reason, in my opinion, to approve the submissions. It's your call though, but holding them any longer to get a response from the submitter seems pointless. Thanks. Mhhutchins 22:38, 19 April 2014 (UTC)
- Time flies. I wasn't thinking it had been that long... -- JLaTondre (talk) 23:00, 19 April 2014 (UTC)
When you do this, be sure to do an author update to correct the LASTNAME field of the author's data. The system automatically gives the last word of the name as the LASTNAME, so "Duncan Campbell (artist)" is given a last name of "(artist)". Thanks. Mhhutchins 05:53, 4 May 2014 (UTC)
The Sword & Sorcery Anthology
Hi, the right spelling is Nuetzel (with one 'l'), and 27344 has the most enries for him.--Dirk P Broer 23:21, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
- Are you sure it's one 'l'? The site you are adding a link to has it as two "l"s? -- JLaTondre (talk) 23:25, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
- Okay, found it as Nuetzel in the SFE3 (in the entry for his son). -- JLaTondre (talk) 23:27, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
- Changes approved, plus also varianted Nuetzell. I added a note the artist's biography page (Bio:Albert Nuetzell) so hopefully that will avoid anyone in the future assuming the canonical name field is a typo. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 23:40, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
Frederick or Frederic?
Re this record: Can you confirm the spelling of the cover art credit? According to most sources, he didn't have a "k" in his first name. Also, we have Frederic, Lord Leighton, Frederic Leighton and Frederick Leighton (I'm asking the verifier of the last to confirm the last spelling as well.) Once the credits have been confirmed, we'll have to establish the canonical name. Thanks. Mhhutchins 22:05, 24 June 2014 (UTC)
- I'll have to dig that one up so it will take a couple of days. -- JLaTondre (talk) 21:53, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
- It's Frederick with a "k". It is also the same artwork as on this pub (which is also an earlier date). I have varianted my cover to that one, made "Lord Frederick Leighton" a pseudonym of "Frederic Leighton", and moved the author information (birth date, etc.) from the former to the later. If there is a desire to make "Frederic, Lord Leighton" the canonical instead (though that seems odd to me even though it has 1 more pub), I can update those again. -- JLaTondre (talk) 22:31, 26 June 2014 (UTC)
- I'll make "Frederic, Lord Leighton" into a pseudonym of "Frederic Leighton". Thanks. Mhhutchins 23:39, 26 June 2014 (UTC)
Title Merge error
OK, I think it's been fixed. Could you please try to approve it again? Ahasuerus 17:47, 27 July 2014 (UTC)
- Excellent! :) Ahasuerus 19:43, 27 July 2014 (UTC)
The Drowning City
Queued merge for Cover: Sun Bleached Winter
The queue shows http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/mod/tv_merge.cgi?2474453 which is your submission for merging two Cover: Sun Bleached Winter. I don't know if you forgot it or realized you may not want to do the merge and so are looking into if it should be done.
A merge looks ok to me other than:
- Neither publication is verified meaning we can't be certain if that's the correct artwork or general layout.
- One of the publications is an ebook. Do those have "covers?"
- The cover image is are from Amazon's server. Amazon used to change cover images. I don't know if they still do that and if the image delivered for a URL such as 51N4zojT00L (used for both publications) will always be the same.
- I forgot to approve that one. With respect to your comments:
- As there is an Amazon Look Inside, we can be reasonably confident in the artwork and the credit. The copyright page has both the print and digital ISBNs and also has the cover artist credit. While it's possible for the publisher to make mistakes, we can only go with the data we have until it is primary verified.
- Yes, ebooks have covers. They are included in the ebook file and will display on the ebook reader.
- While Amazon may change the artwork displayed (usually seems to happen with older books where they allow users to upload cover art), the artwork credit (which is what this record is for) would still be correct. What is being merged is not the artwork (the link to that is in the respective publication records), but the cover artist records.
- Thanks for letting me know I missed this submission. -- JLaTondre (talk) 22:55, 11 August 2014 (UTC)