Hello, Cuinn, and welcome to the ISFDB Wiki! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:
- Help pages
- Help:Getting Started
- What the ISFDB Wiki is for
- ISFDB FAQ
- Help:Screen:EditPub#General contents - Warning and a note on how to update a publication's contents
- Wiki editing help - Tips on how to use the wiki-specific features when editing wiki pages.
Please be careful in editing publications that have been primary verified by other editors. See Help:How to verify data#Making changes to verified pubs. But if you have a copy of an unverified publication, verifying it can be quite helpful. See Help:How to verify data for detailed information.
I hope you enjoy editing here! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will insert your name and the date. If you need help, check out the community portal, or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome! --~ Bill, Bluesman 23:45, 14 December 2010 (UTC)
Accepted your submission for [this] new anthology but needed to tweak it a little to conform to the standards of the site. Small things: added $ to the price; went to the Dagan website and found the format to be a trade paperback [we use 'tp' for that] so changed the designation from "print"; used the website's expected publication date [that way it will show up in our Forthcoming Books and maybe sell a few!!]; blanked the artists as that particular field is for the cover artist only [you have correctly put the interior art and artists in the contents]. If you know which of the four, or another artist, who is responsible for the cover, please enter him/her in the field. As for the image, we do not have explicit permission from Dagan books to link directly to their site. On [this] page is a list of the sites we do have permission to link plus a further [link] for an explanation of how to get permission. For now I simply downloaded the image from Dagan and then uploaded it to the pub record. Again, welcome, and thanks for editing! --~ Bill, Bluesman 23:56, 14 December 2010 (UTC)
- I'm actually Carrie Cuinn, owner and publisher of Dagan Books, as well as the editor for this title. I'm happy to give isfdb permission to use any public information or images we have on our websites. --Cuinn 00:03, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
- Much appreciated, and congratulations on your enterprise! An ambitious start. Love the cover! --~ Bill, Bluesman 03:18, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
Lakeside Circus, Issue One
Hi. I accepted your content submission to Lakeside Circus, Issue One and made a couple of small changes and corrections, and I have a a question.
The question: Is Mohlere's "Peregrine: A Review" short fiction, or is it actually a review of a published work or works? If the latter, we would record it differently (which I can help with, if you identify more precisely what is being reviewed).
The changes/corrections (all minor):
- We don't generally quote titles, unless the title itself is a quote, or some other special meaning is assigned to the quotation marks (e.g., if one title were in quotes, but none of the others, we would keep them). Where a publication puts quotes around all of the titles, we don't include them. So I removed them.
- A couple of the entries had the author and title swapped, so I switched them.
- Where an author uses multiple initials, we put a space after each period. I did that for a couple of the credits.
- For "generic" titles, such as "Letter from the Editor", where the same title by the same author is likely to appear in multiple works, we disambiguate by adding the publication's title (or a shortened form of it) in parentheses. Here, I added "(Lakeside Circus, Issue One)".
- For any non-book-length non-fiction, we use the type ESSAY. We reserve NONFICTION for book-length works. I changed the letter from the editor to ESSAY.
As I said, all very minor. Thank you for taking the time to do all of that data entry. I also took your note to the moderator, with the link to the website and the ISSN, and incorporated that information into the publication notes. Please look the whole thing over and make sure all is as it should be. Thanks. --MartyD 13:07, 19 January 2014 (UTC)
- Marty, thanks for the help! "Peregrine" is an actual story, just in the form of a fictitious review for a place that doesn't exist. --Carrie Cuinn 18:24, 27 April 2014 (UTC)~
Lakeside Circus: Year One, Issue Two
Submission accepted for this publication, but these changes were made based on the standards which are linked in the Welcome section above. Please keep these changes in mind for any future submissions.
- Title field: added "Summer 2014" to the title field, since that is seen on the cover scan on the publisher's website.
- Price field: changed "6.00" to "$6.00". Because we include international publications, the currency should be noted.
- Image URL field: removed the link to a file on a website which hasn't given us permission. If you are the owner of that website, you can give us permission, but be aware that we "deep-link" to the image, which means we pull bandwidth from the other website to display the image on the ISFDB record. Some website owners deeply frown on other websites doing such linking to theirs.
- Publication Series and Publication Series # fields: removed all data. Magazine records aren't placed into publication series. Their editor records are placed into editor series after the publication has been added to the database. I'll do that.
- Contents' author credits: there should be spaces after the periods in author's who use initials. So I changed "G.B. White" to "G. B. White". Also, in "P. M. F. Johnson". This author normally doesn't use periods after the letters in his name. Are they used in this publication?
Question: What date was this published? The listing on the publisher's website makes it appear that stories are released on different dates. If the entire publication won't be complete until August 31, then that should be the actual publication date given in the record.
You entered the editorial as dated June 21, 2014, but left the others blank, so they defaulted to the date of 2014.
Thanks for contributing. Mhhutchins 00:23, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
- I changed the type of the record for the interview with Nathan Ballingrud from NONFICTION (used exclusively for book length nonfiction) to INTERVIEW. Mhhutchins 23:50, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
- With no response, I went ahead and changed the author credit of "Traveler" to "P M F Johnson" (without the periods). If this is incorrect, please change it back and then make it into a variant of the canonical form of the author's name. Thanks. Mhhutchins 05:01, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
'No Such Phi'
I have on Hold an edit which will change a small detail in your verified pub Lakeside Circus: Shortfiction and Other Oddities, Issue One. The author Bryan Thao Worra would like to change the Title Type for his entry 'No Such Phi' from SHORT FICTION to POEM. As you are the Primary Verifier we need to mention this to you first before going ahead (or otherwise). Thanks. PeteYoung 16:22, 10 October 2017 (EDT)
- It's been nearly two weeks and I've not had a reply so I've gone ahead and accepted the edit. Thanks. PeteYoung 01:06, 20 October 2017 (EDT)