Hello, CoraBuhlert, and welcome to the ISFDB Wiki! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:
- Help pages
- Field-by-field guide to entering new publications into the database
- Help:Getting Started
- What the ISFDB Wiki is for
- Wiki editing help - Tips on how to use the wiki-specific features when editing wiki pages.
- Wiki Conventions - How things are usually done on this wiki.
- Help:How to upload images to the ISFDB wiki
Note: Image uploading isn't entirely automated. You're uploading the files to the wiki which will then have to be linked to the database by editing the publication record.
Please be careful in editing publications that have been primary verified by other editors. See Help:How to verify data#Making changes to verified pubs. But if you have a copy of an unverified publication, verifying it can be quite helpful. See Help:How to verify data for detailed information.
I hope you enjoy editing here! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will insert your name and the date. If you need help, check out the community portal, or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome! -- JLaTondre (talk) 22:29, 6 December 2020 (EST)
Evacuation Order, Dreaming of the Stars, & Baptism of Fire
- Publisher: I have standardized the publisher to "Pegasus Pulp" as per the copyright page
- Pages: I removed the page count as we don't record pages for ebooks.
- Price: I added the currency symbol as we deal in multiple currencies.
- Artist: I changed the artist to Grandfailure. We record the artist name as per the pub and Amazon's Look Inside shows it credited per Luadthong pseudonym. I think varianted the pseudonym to his canonical name.
- Content: I have added the shortfiction content. As this is a chapbook, the story content needs to be added manually.
As it requires a software change to add a new site to the image linking permissions, I instead linked to the same image on Amazon. We already have permission to use Amazon images. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 19:24, 7 December 2020 (EST)
Whetstone Amateur Magazine of Sword and Sorcery
Hi Cora -
I'm going to approve your edits to add the issues of Whetstone. However there are a few things with the edits that I'm going to have to change after I've approved them. Please don't be discouraged by this. Magazines follow some slightly different standards that aren't obvious to a new user.
- The magazine title should include only the name of the magazine and date, e.g. "Whetstone Amateur Magazine of Sword and Sorcery, Spring 2020". I know that there are several examples in the database that violate this rule. However, the appropriate standard is here, and I do try to correct errors when I notice them. It is, of course, fine to add the Issue number in the notes field.
- Magazines need to have a title series which is part of what keeps all the issues together. This is usually just the name of the magazine.
- I'll also note that we group magazines title records by year. This can't be done until after at least one individual issue records has been entered. It is done by changing the title of the EDITOR record to name of magazine followed by a dash and then the year, e.g. "Whetstone Amateur Magazine of Sword and Sorcery - 2020". The date should also be adjusted to the year alone ("2020-00-00") After that has been done for one record, additional EDITOR records for the same year and editors should be merged. The help page for magazines and annual records is a little confusing. Please feel free to ask questions the next time you have a magazine to enter.
- We do not ordinarily list associate editors in the author field. It's fine to list them in the notes. I'll also note that when two editors (co-editors) are entered, they should be entered in separate fields. There is a button with a plus sign which will add a second field to the form for this purpose.
- For free magazines, we generally list the price as "$0.00"
- We don't embed images in our records from other websites unless we have obtained permission from that site. A list of sites that have granted permission is here. Since the PDFs of the issues are available, I'll clip the cover images and upload them here.
- We don't usually enter page numbers for eBooks as they mostly don't have real page numbers. However, since these are pdfs, they actually do. I will add the format in the notes so that others won't try to delete the page numbers.
- For content records that have a generic name (or with magazines, repeating column names), we disambiguate each appearance by appending the issue name including the date inside parenthesis. I'll do this for the Editor's Note for these issues.
- Authors who have initials should have a space between multiple initials, e.g. "J. B. Toner"
Witch House Amateur Magazine of Cosmic Horror, Summer 2021
I approved the addition but had to do a few changes:
- The title should contain the date of the issue
- We use title series for magazines (and not publication series) and the number stays empty
- Prices require currency symbol - we are an international DB :)
- Essays which have common names need to have the periodical name added to their title - see what I did for Editor's Note
- webzine is for online-only formats. As this one comes in a PDF file, it is an ebook.
- Webzines and ebooks do not have page numbers - we record these in the notes only.
- We are not authorized to link to this image. You can import an image or find one on a site we are allowed to link to.
- We have special rules for dating magazines - the exact date can go into the notes if you want it to.
The result is here. PS: About your question about interior art:
- If it belongs to one of the fiction pieces or essays, you add it with the same title as the fiction piece/essay (and type Interior Art). If it does not, you add it as "Issue title", "Issue title " so "Witch House Amateur Magazine of Cosmic Horror, Summer 2021", then "Witch House Amateur Magazine of Cosmic Horror, Summer 2021 " and so on. Let me know if you have any questions. Annie 11:05, 31 August 2021 (EDT)
Request to update editorial staff of Witch House Amateur Magazine of Cosmic Horror, Summer 2021
I tried to update the editorial info for Witch House to include myself and Chase A. Folmer. The proposed change was rejected, with the indication that you, the primary verifier, would need to make the changes. Can you sign-off or amend this listing? I'm noting we have the associate editor listed for previous Whetstone issues, so it makes sense to me to try to capture all the editorial staff on this magazine too.
Thanks for considering! Barbarianluke 09:56, 11 November 2021 (EST)
Whetstone Amateur Magazine of Sword and Sorcery, Winter 2021
A few changes were needed on this one:
- The issue number goes only in the notes
- As it is a downloadable file, it is an ebook and not a webzine under our definition
- Replaced the link to the site with a link to the announcement for the issue
- Price format - we need the currency symbol as we are an international DB.
- All essays with common name (Introduction and so on) get the name of the publication in () so they are differentiated on the author's list.
- We do not use Pub series and number for magazines
- We do not use the Series number for magazines - just the series name
- As there has not be a response, I've had to reject this submission. -- JLaTondre (talk) 09:46, 18 December 2021 (EST)
Witch House Amateur Magazine of Cosmic Horror Summer 2022
Quite a few issues with your submission:
- Pub series name should not be there
- Price needs to be preceded by currency sign
- Not a webzine, it's a pdf download
- cover image cannot be linked to a website we do not have permission from
- common titles such as Introduction must be disambiguated
If you continue to contribute, please pay attention to the rules and comments. Read through the help articles provided in the welcome message at the top of your talk page. Thanks! MagicUnk 13:04, 31 August 2022 (EDT)
Linking to cover images hosted elsewhere
When using a link to a cover image from outside of ISFDB, please make sure you are following the guidance contained at ISFDB:Image linking permissions. We cannot link to cover art on any sites not listed on that page. I've fixed this publication by uploading the cover image to ISFDB. Thanks! ···日本穣 · 投稿 · Talk to Nihonjoe 14:24, 18 January 2023 (EST)