Hello, ChrisBauer, and welcome to the ISFDB Wiki! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:
- Help pages
- Field-by-field guide to entering new publications into the database
- Help:Getting Started
- What the ISFDB Wiki is for
- Wiki editing help - Tips on how to use the wiki-specific features when editing wiki pages.
- Wiki Conventions - How things are usually done on this wiki.
- Help:How to upload images to the ISFDB wiki
Note: Image uploading isn't entirely automated. You're uploading the files to the wiki which will then have to be linked to the database by editing the publication record.
Please be careful in editing publications that have been primary verified by other editors. See Help:How to verify data#Making changes to verified pubs. But if you have a copy of an unverified publication, verifying it can be quite helpful. See Help:How to verify data for detailed information.
I hope you enjoy editing here! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will insert your name and the date. If you need help, check out the community portal, or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome!
---------------------------------------------------------------- !!! NOTE: You probably don't intend to be editing this page! !!! !!! This is a welcome template, not your user page. !!! ----------------------------------------------------------------
Your additional author birthdates have also been placed on hold. Birth information should be sourced & publicly available. If you do not respond here with the sources, I will unfortunately have to reject the edits. Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 08:55, 6 December 2020 (EST)
- As there has been no response, I have had to reject the edits. If you return and provide the sources, they can be added at that time. -- JLaTondre (talk) 20:02, 11 December 2020 (EST)
I approved the addition of the book but needed to do some changes:
- The Audible ASIN was incorrect - I replaced it with the actual ASIN from the Audible site
- The ISBN was incorrect - both as a number and it did not belong to the book at all
- Cleaned up the cover.
Adding books too far in the future
While adding future books is ok, adding them more than 60 days before they are published (such as this one) is not a good idea in the best of times and these days with all the delays due to quarantines and so on, it is even worse - I've spent most of the year checking and fixing our "future" books and monitoring publishers and delays - earlier in the pandemic we were down to allowing just a week of leading time and even that backfired at times with some publishers.
It is technically under 90 days so it was approved (and in policy) but let's not push our luck that far out yet - 45-60 days ahead of time seems safe-ish at the moment for most major publishers, it is a bit too early for anything further out. Thanks for the understanding. :) Annie 14:49, 23 December 2020 (EST)
Regarding this edit: Amazon shows this as a new edition being released on 2021-01-05. What source are you using to change the date to 2019-06-25? Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 08:02, 25 December 2020 (EST)
Light of Impossible Stars
I have rejected this edit. ISFDB only credits cover artists for pubs, not cover designers. Cover designers go in the pub notes. And per the pub notes "Design by Julia Lloyd. Images © Shutterstock". Thanks. -- JLaTondre (talk) 08:04, 25 December 2020 (EST)
There doesn't seem to be an inherent order to the banners, so French was added at the beginning simply because the image file ahd been assigned the suffix 12.  —The preceding unsigned comment was added by ChrisBauer (talk • contribs) .
- We have 12 banners and they are rotated on a daily basis. Their files have different numbers -- 1 through 12 -- but otherwise they are all equal. Does the current setup create an issue? Ahasuerus 18:30, 28 December 2020 (EST)
How to Be a Badass
No need to add the author's name to a series name if there is no other series with the same name already (here). Cleaned up the series name. Thanks for connecting these two - I looked at them but was going to wait for thatFeb book to come out to see if they are indeed connected. :) Annie 03:23, 23 January 2021 (EST)
The Ghoul Vendetta
So what is the difference between the book you are trying to add here and the book we have? The only difference I see is the date and it is accounted for in the notes of the book we have (printed date inside of the book beats online availability date). Am I missing something? Thanks! Annie 15:49, 2 February 2021 (EST)
- Same question for this submission and this book? I cannot see a single difference? Annie 15:52, 2 February 2021 (EST)
- And apparently the same is true for all your current submissions. So looks like you are trying to do something but the submissions do not explain what so let me try to help:
- If you have later printings, the notes need to be edited to note this and specify what printing you are cloning for (and the date will need changing).
- If you have these exact printings, no need to create a clone, you can verify the existing books.
- If you are trying to do something else, what exactly are you trying so I can help? Thanks! Annie 15:57, 2 February 2021 (EST)
Another set of clones
You just added another set of Clones that are replicas of the books we have. I have all of them (plus all the old ones) on hold - and they will all need to be rejected unless there is something that differentiates them.
Can you please explain what you are trying to do here? We clone books to create new records for new editions or printings. What you are creating is identical to what we already have... Thanks! Annie 04:02, 3 February 2021 (EST)
Where is the price for this record coming from? As you did not indicate any sources, Amazon UK has 2.99 and the publisher site seems down from where I am (so I cannot verify there...), it almost looks like the paperback price? Thanks! Annie 04:19, 3 February 2021 (EST)
- Never mind - the site was wrong. The official page shows 2.99 though... So I approved and fixed that and added the sources and the ASIN and a note on other prices. Also - for ebooks the number of pages goes into the notes only. The result is here. I also added the paperback. Let me know if you have any questions. Annie 04:37, 3 February 2021 (EST)
- Same notes for Bloodsworn - minus the paperback as we still do not have a date for it... Thanks for adding these! Annie 04:41, 3 February 2021 (EST)
Ebooks and pages
Just a quick note: For ebooks, the number of pages go into the notes and not into the Pages field. I am fixing as approving in the latest batch such as this one. Thanks for adding these! :) Annie 22:45, 3 February 2021 (EST)
Larry Correia's birthday
Hello, you submitted a change in the birthday of Correia a few months ago (probably because of Wiki having the wrong date - although who knows considering that you did not submit a source in the submission). Another editor discovered more information about the case so the old date was restored and the author note was updated to explain the source. When there is such a difference in dates, looking a bit deeper is sometimes warranted. If you have any other sources that contradict our notes, please do not hesitate to update it again, adding your sources. Thanks! Annie 21:28, 7 March 2021 (EST)
Hello. I have your submission on hold as I'm wondering why you want to replace the existing wraparound cover image with (an inferior) one only showing the front? Regards, MagicUnk 08:15, 28 May 2021 (EDT)
- Since I didn't receive an answer, I've rejected your submission. MagicUnk 13:43, 23 June 2021 (EDT)
Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
I am holding this edit. You are cloning a publication but you made no changes so the new pub would be a duplicate of the original. What were you trying to achieve? -- JLaTondre (talk) 08:58, 5 July 2021 (EDT)
No page numbers for ebooks
Hello, just an FYI - as these are meaningless for ebooks, we do not record the page numbers. (i've accepted your submissions and removed the page nos). Also, where did you get the price from? Please add the source of the data in the notes. This is mandatory !! Thanks. Regards, MagicUnk 15:36, 26 August 2021 (EDT)
Charlie N. Holmberg's birth date?
Hello, I have your submission on hold as I'm wondering where you got the author's birth date from? Can you provide your source? (always a good idea to add source to the notes, either in the record's Note field, or in the Note to Moderators field). Regards, MagicUnk 16:20, 26 August 2021 (EDT)
I have several of your edits on hold as you need to provide the source of the birth dates you are updating. Please answer here by pressing the small 'edit' to the right of this message's title. Thanks! MagicUnk 15:56, 2 September 2021 (EDT)
I approved your latest additions but they all needed to be updated the same way:
- For ebooks pages go into the notes only, not in the Pages field.
- Notes on sources are mandatory unless you are verifying.
- Added the ASIN to them.
- I fixed the dates to match Amazon's date in a few of those. If you have another source with dates, please add the source into the notes field and then use the information from there.
Thanks! Annie 12:35, 23 September 2021 (EDT)
We go by what the title page shows. I had to reject quite a few of your updates because you were trying to update the author name to something that was NOT what the title page has. If the author is actually named differently:
- If they publish under both names, we pseudonym the two names.
- If they do not, the real name goes into the Legal Name field of the author record (if it is a legal name) or in the notes of the author field.
Thanks! Annie 16:19, 7 October 2021 (EDT)
Adding new books
Adding a title variant and then adding a book to it runs the risk of having the empty variant deleted overnight. I think this is what happened with one of the books you were trying to add. In order for that not to happen, always add the book first and then variant the title where it belongs as opposed to creating a variant and then adding a book to it. Thanks! Annie 16:21, 7 October 2021 (EDT)
The Fire Eater and Her Dragon
This one needed quite a lot of work:
- No sources. With Amazon not carrying it anymore, it was Goodreads (which was obvious from your image link... so why not just add the note?). The notes are mandatory unless you are verifying
- Missing IDs - ASIN and Goodreads in this case
- For ebooks the page numbers go into the notes.
- We cannot link to Goodreads for images. You can either find it somewhere else or you can upload it to our DB. I did the latter here.
The result is here. The only remaining question is - where is the price coming from? Goodreads does not carry prices, Amazon does not have this ASIN anymore... Thanks! Annie 21:28, 13 October 2021 (EDT)
pb vs tp
pb is mass market paperback. Anything bigger is tp. So books which are 8x5 inches or bigger need to be entered as "tp". Thanks! Annie 03:51, 14 October 2021 (EDT)
- And we really need source notes. "Data from Amazon.com as of 2021-10-13." for example if this is what you use as a source. Annie 03:53, 14 October 2021 (EDT)
Storm Front (cover date)
Your note here makes no sense (or I cannot figure out what you mean) so:
- Where/ in what edition was that cover used on 2007-11-06?
Thanks! Annie 15:21, 25 October 2021 (EDT)
I am not sure what you mean with "Moderated or post format" in your moderator notes - it does not explain the edit and it does not add additional information and/or clarification.
About this one - are you saying that it has two artists? It so, this is not the correct format for that. If you are saying that Dan Mumford is part of a Rafaela Romaya agency, this goes only in the notes of the artist. If you are saying something else, please clarify. Thanks! Annie 15:58, 26 October 2021 (EDT)
Adding books again
I am not sure why you keep ignoring the conventions of the site but here we go again:
- Ebooks do not have page numbers - we do not use the field for ebooks. The value is recorded in the notes
- Unless you are verifying a book (you work from the book itself), a note about the source is mandatory.
- When adding ebooks and using Amazon covers, obviously at least one of your sources is Amazon. Add the ASIN for the book to the external IDs.
Because you ignore all 3 of these (despite being reminded of the rules), handling your submissions is extremely tedious and takes a lot longer than it should. As a result, you can start seeing them being rejected instead of moderators spending the time to fix them upon approval (as we cannot leave them in the shape you are adding them). Thanks for adding them but it will be appreciated if you show some respect for the time of the moderators of the site (we are all volunteers just as you are). Thanks! Annie 23:46, 11 November 2021 (EST)
We record the authors as credited in the title page of the books. In Genesis Draconis, the credit is for Kevin McLaughlin, not for Kevin O. McLaughlin. I've fixed the record. Annie 23:53, 11 November 2021 (EST)
Christmas Kringle: Coming to Town
Kristen Simmons & Gerald Brandt birthdate
Hi. I have your submission on hold as I'm wondering where you got the birthdate of the author from? It should be publicly available information. If not, we shouldn't record it. Regards, MagicUnk 14:47, 19 January 2022 (EST) Same for this one (source for birthplace & -date). MagicUnk 14:51, 19 January 2022 (EST)
Hello. I have your submissions  and  on hold as personal data (like birthdates) can only be updated if publicly known. Can you please provide the public source where you got the data from for Ritchey & Butler? Thanks! MagicUnk 10:31, 3 February 2022 (EST)
- Why do you reject your own submissions once they've been put on hold, instead of providing a source for the data? MagicUnk 08:09, 4 February 2022 (EST)
The Ancient Blades
For Den of Thieves.
For A Thief in the Night.
For Honor Among Thieves.
Thanks! Chris Bauer 01:29, 2 July 2022 (EST)
For The Collarbound