|This page is the wiki-page for the publisher or imprint Pan Books. This page may be used for extended notes about the publisher, including alternate names, changes of ownership, associated imprints, locations, etc. The link above leads to the ISFDB publisher record for Pan Books. To discuss what should go on this page, use the talk page.
For more on this and other header templates, see Header templates.
Pan Books was founded by Alan Bott in 1944. Over the next 8 years, a consortium consisting of Collins, Macmillan, Hodder & Stoughton and Heinemann purchased a 48% share in Pan and in 1962, when New American Library attempted to take over, Collins and Macmillan bought Pan outright. In 1969 Heinemann rejoined by buying a third share. As of 2008, just an imprint of the Pan Macmillan Group.
Some history and the pre-ISBN books can be found here.
Usual ISBN Prefix 0330
- 1966: Pan Books Ltd, 33 Tothill Street, London S.W.1 Source: Gladiator-at-Law
- 1976: Pan Books Ltd, Cavaye Place, London SW10 9PG Source: Halcyon Drift
- 1978: Pan Books Ltd, Cavaye Place, London SW10 9PG Source: The Fenris Device
- 1983: Pan Books Ltd, Cavaye Place, London SW10 9PG Source: Profiles of the Future
- 1993: Pan Books Limited, a division of Pan Macmillan Publishers Limited, Cavaye Place London SW10 9PG and Basingstoke Source: Meridian Days